Clock

Monday, September 8, 2008

Love always

THE MALAYSIAN MALAYS


> by Dr Syed Alwi of Singapore

>> Dear Editor,

>> As you know, I am an avid watcher of Malaysian affairs. I must confess
> that lately, Malaysia appears to be failing. Not a day passes by
> without more events that clearly highlight Malaysia 's race-religion
> fault-line. If things keep going this way, I fear for Malaysia 's> future.
>> Today, schools in Singapore celebrate Racial Harmony Day. I can
> visibly see the joy in the children's faces as they wear their ethnic> costumes and have fun together at school. But in Malaysia - even the
> right to choose a religion has become a sensitive, national issue. >
No doubt, there are many in Malaysia who hate my liberal views on Islam,
> family included. But I will say what I must say openly. I have come to
> the conclusion that Malaysia cannot progress any further without first
> addressing fundamental questions regarding its identity and soul.
>> I remember the days when we can laugh at Lat's cartoons on everyday
> Malaysian life. But sadly, the Islamic tide has polarised Malaysians.
> Some people ask why I should bother about Malaysian affairs since I am
> a Singaporean. May I remind Malaysians that it was Tan Siew Sin who
> once said that Singapore and Malaysia are Siamese Twins. Should
> Malaysia go down - it would hurt the region tremendously. Especially
> Singapore ..
>> Where do you think Malay apostates would head for if Lina Joy loses
> her case? Singapore of course! I find the Malaysian Malay to be very
> under-exposed. For them, it's all Islam and the NEP and everything
> under the sun would sort itself out. I am sorry to say this - but
> Islam and the NEP may be the cause of the undoing of the Malaysian
> Malay.
>> There is nothing wrong with religion or affirmative action. But, like
> everything else in life, they must be taken in moderation and with a
> pinch of salt. A little doubt is good. Unfortunately in Malaysia ,
> emotions over Islam have overcome reason. What we see today is the
> result of the NEP and Islamisation policies of the past thirty years
> or so.
>> No one owes Malaysian Malays a living. Let me assure you that should
> Malaysia fail - the Malaysian Malay will suffer enormously. And
> rightly so. After all - they have been pampered with all sorts of
> goodies over the years. They cannot now expect more goodies. Perhaps
> the day of reckoning for them, is near. Whatever it is, Malaysia had
> better wake up to the realities around her. The globalised world of
> the 21st century has no NEP to offer the Malaysian Malay. And humans
> cannot live by religion alone.

>> Regards,


>> Dr Syed Alwi

~ Frozen tears to hallucination~

* The world is cruel, n the morality in cruelty is chances. Unbias n not prejudice*

No comments: